Parenthood is a blessing…. I got pregnant at 25, having grown up the oldest in my family and the ‘go to’ babysitter for EVERYONE. I thought I knew what I was getting myself into. My gosh was I wrong,
there are so many things that change when it is your own child you are not just looking after but raising. Now this is in no way shape or form me trying to put anyone off having children because there a definitely more pros than cons, well in my case. But there are things about parenthood I wish I would have taken in when people mentioned them to me.
- Your dignity is gone!! Completely shattered after you have a child, answering the door covered in vomit stains becomes completely acceptable.
- Personal space no longer exists. Toilet breaks become your ‘me’ time.
- Being called Mum for the first time is amazing. When you hear it’s 20+ times again and again as an attempt to change your mind. When you have said no for the umftheenth time you begin to wish they could call you anything but Mum.
- You feel like your kids do things purposely to wind you up and you believe the baby is trying to challenge you.
- There will be at least one occasion you stop mid-sentence and realise you are reasoning with a crying baby to let you sleep. Just one hour, please.
- You learn the meaning of unconditional love, it may take a few days to kick it but very soon you realise that is exactly what you feel for them.
Parenthood is the ultimate apprenticeship, 100% learning on the job. I’m still going through mine and I’m not sure it ever stops, but it’s one hell of a journey.